canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

Do all brands of stainless steel sinks scratch easily? Is

Do all brands of stainless steel sinks scratch easily? Is there a better alternative to SS?

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Have you had a stainless steel sink scratch before?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have had different SS sinks over the years that have already been scratched before we bought the house. We just did a partial remodel on our kitchen and got a Kohler stainless steel sink. It seemed mirror perfect when installed a couple days ago. But now the shine is leaving as marks from washing dishes appear. We don't know if we bought the wrong SS sink or if we should have bought a non SS sink.

Stainless steel sinks are the most durable you can get. I have never heard of a scratch in one. The gauge of metal will help with durability but They will all get surface scratches at the same rate. Any other type finish is more likely to get scratched. Are you sure that the scratches will not wipe off? The finish of a stainless steel sink does have a faint grain to the finish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think my wife has tried to wipe (but not scrub) them off. She is asleep so I will ask her later and get back to you. Shr has had SS sinks all her life so I I guess she would know what to expect. Maybe she has just never seen a brand new one to compare it with. I checked the Home Depot site and the feedback included some complaints of scratching.

Now that you mention it, it does seem that the Kohler stainless sinks seem to have more gloss and sheen to the finish. I have installed many and I have noticed a difference in the finish to those compared to other brands.

I still think they are some of the nicest looking sinks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we got the big one you can do a pig in. love it

Is that the one with the little insert sink you can put in?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no. my wife said she would use a plastic bowl. LOL

I see. I think you can get an accessory sink. It sits a few inches above the bottom of the main sink so you can convert it to two sinks. Anyway, that sink is very nice but I think that because the finish and sheen are so good that any scratches will show. Once it shows a little wear it will not show any more scratches but will still clean up like new. You got the right sink. They are very nice.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are satisfied with our decision. We were concerned we chose the wrong sink or wrong type of sink. But it sounds like we made a good decision. Thanks!

You are very welcome