Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

My Liftmaster was installed in 1992. The problem is when I

My Liftmaster was installed in...
My Liftmaster was installed in 1992. The problem is when I open the door it travels too far up/open and hits a bolt that secures the rail. how can I adjust the travel so stops short of hitting the bolt? Thank you.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About 2 weeks.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes, I have two doors. One works fine. The other also has a problem in that the remote does not open or close the door.
1/10/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi what you have to do is adjust the travel up limit...............do you have the manual for it? .but it would best to disconnect the door from the trolley and get it right before it comes in contact with anything............by clicking and using the screw adjustment up force.............I don't know what buttons you have on your model ..........you may have arrow keys too....................but let me know how this goes

Thanks

eddie

Eddie........there are two metal pieces that connect the chain to the door. One is straight and the other is curved. There are 3 bolts holding these two metal pieces together. I moved the bolts holding these two pieces two bolt holes over and got the door to open/shut correctly. The problem now involves the two remotes that get the door to open/close. One remote is inside the garage and includes 3 buttons. One is labelled "Lock", one is labelled "Light" and the 3rd is unlabeled and is used to open/close the door. The other remote is in our cars and is made up of two unlabeled buttons. The remote in the garage sometimes opens/closes the door. When it does not work I press one of the other buttons to get the door to open/close. The remotes in the cars do not open or close the door.

okay what I would like to do is erase the transmitters then a hard reset and then a re program.......

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter ......plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 12 inches of the opener when you do

Please let me know how it goes

Thanks

eddie

Eddie, I have not done anything since your original suggestion to adjust the garage door travel up and down. I got caught up in other commitments. So now I am going to summarize the overall big picture and then wait for your comments. I have two garage doors both which use Liftmaster components. I did talk to a local Liftmaster dealer and told him one of my garage remotes was broken(a plastic piece internally had broken off). He said they have replaced my older version with a newer one and do not carry the older remotes which I have. So I was hoping you might have one of the older remotes that I could replace mine with. Gus .

Hi Gus ............we are not any kind of a dealership....................Just Answer only offers advice to clients for categorical issues or repair solutions

but my question is why not get the new one?............I would go to Amazon.com ........have your info ready and look for both models...........you'll probably find the newer remote cheaper too

Thanks

eddie

Eddie......I will order a garage remote from Amazon.com as you suggested. One last question......we have two cars and each one has a remote made by Clicker. Clicker has two buttons.......one for opening one garage door and the other button for opening to other garage door. A few weeks ago these remotes would only open one of the garage doors. I have put in a new disc battery for both remotes but this has not corrected the situation. I have opened each remote and observe they each have a row of numbers from 1 to 12 and a switch for on or off for each number. Both remotes are currently set for on for all 12 numbers. Any suggestions?

Yes Gus those are called dip switches and have to be sync'd from remote to opener NOT remote to remote..........you will probably find these dip switches on the opener by the controls .............or in a receiver box .............or on the wall remote.......keep the switches on the openers the same and adjust the remotes.....just in case ...........and then you may have to reprogram.............let me know how it goes

Thanks

eddie

Eddie.....I understand what you mean by syncing from the remote to the opener. What I do not understand is the jargon you use so I can find the other set of dip switches. You use terms like "opener', "controls", "receiver box", and "wall remote". I have taken apart the wall remote and see no dip switches. I just finished looking inside the box with the motor/gears in it. There is a printed circuit board in that box but I do not see dip switches. There are screws hold that board to the box frame that I could remove to see the other side of the printed circuit board but have hesitated to remove those screws. Comments?
Gus

Hi Gus .......you have a really antiquated opener (the motor unit on the ceiling that makes the door function) so it would be hard for us to find the controls (dip switches , adjustment knobs.Learn button)..........if you could take a photo of the unit maybe it will help me track some things down........

How to send a photo or file instructions

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Thanks

eddie

Eddie........Appreciate your patience.........I am giving up..........I am going to visit the guy locally that told me I had to replace everything to get the system to operate. If I can get him to help me find that other set of dip switches then I think I can live with the results without replacing everything. Much Aloha.........Gus

Hi Gus ..............some people get annoyed when you tell them they should replace the unit but consider this .............

that before you spend money replacing major parts……..make you aware that you have another option and that is to upgrade your opener ……and consider replacing it………..here is why........

1-) A garage door opener has a life expectancy of 10 -12 years Being that your door opener is a bit antiquated it is very likely to soon fail you at the most inopportune time say inclement weather……. thus locking you either out of your garage. Or even worse yet if you need to get into your garage fast… due to security issues.

2-) Unless your opener has been modified at some point after its original installation ……….. it may have altered or no safety sensors (infrared beams) to make it stop and then reverse on its way down if something such as an animal or small child or your car etc……….. gets in the way of the closing door. This by itself makes it dangerous and even illegal according to current building code. It is just not safe.

3-).New… safe….quiet… user friendly and the best part ……self-diagnosing openers these days start about $150.00

4-) it is the perfect weekend project where you can save on labor on the install

5-) the tracks the garage door are okay to keep unless you see signs that the rollers are wearing in which case they can be replaced.

Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. i recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained

Thanks

eddie

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie......I did talk to a Liftmaster guy yesterday. He gave me a hand out on how to reprogram my car Clickers. So I came home and reprogramed both my Clickers. Both Clickers, each with two buttons, all open the door that was working fine. I believe the problem lies in the defunct garage remote for the other door. So the guy I talked to persuaded me to by a whole new replacement system which is what you recommended. I thank you for your help and give you positive ratings.

it's going to work out for you ....it's time to change......less headaches..............thank you in advance for the positive rating

edde

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Thank you for the positive rating............ I hope you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved..........if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>
Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor