Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I've been trying to reprogram my remotes. My opener is

Customer Question
working fine when I...
I've been trying to reprogram my remotes. My opener is working fine when I use the indoor wired remote, but my wireless remotes would work very sporadically. I tried replacing the battery and the opener wouldn't respond. I've been reprogramming it, pressing the learning button then, once the light flashes, pressing the remote (6 inches away, 2 feet away, 6 feet away), multiple times, but I get no results. The signal doesn't seem to be received by the remote. The open was installed around 1990, but like I say it's still working fine when I use the indoor control. Do I need new remotes, or is the opener need to be replaced?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/10/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 1 year ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi.......we could try this............

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

after that............

If I may ……….... before you spend money replacing major parts……..make you aware that you have another option and that is to upgrade your opener ……and consider replacing it………..here is why........

1-) A garage door opener has a life expectancy of 10 -12 years Being that your door opener is a bit antiquated it is very likely to soon fail you at the most inopportune time say inclement weather……. thus locking you either out of your garage. Or even worse yet if you need to get into your garage fast… due to security issues.

2-) Unless your opener has been modified at some point after its original installation ……….. it may have altered or no safety sensors (infrared beams) to make it stop and then reverse on its way down if something such as an animal or small child or your car etc……….. gets in the way of the closing door. This by itself makes it dangerous and even illegal according to current building code. It is just not safe.

3-).New… safe….quiet… user friendly and the best part ……self-diagnosing openers these days start about $150.00

4-) it is the perfect weekend project where you can save on labor on the install

5-) the tracks the garage door are okay to keep unless you see signs that the rollers are wearing in which case they can be replaced.

Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. i recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained

Thanks

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The initial response I received was that the expert had a 'fix' to my problem, I realize that my opener was old and probably needed to be replaced. However, when I saw that there was a 'fix', I thought you knew something I didn't. I definitely do not consider this a fix.

Hi .......as a last ditch effort.......erasing and a hard re set should have resolved the problem with the remote unless some of the buttons are badly worn ......in that case you're right I should have mentioned it but as you see I suggested was not to spend money on a part that is going bad and then a month later you may be in the same boat or 6 months after that ..........and you wind up getting nickel'd and dime'd by a 26 year old opener..........I hope that cleared up some of my intention

Thanks

eddie

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor