Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a Genie 209 garage opener and having trouble

Hello I have a Genie...
Hello I have a Genie 209 garage opener and having trouble programming it to my car?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 2 days. Just moved in
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
1/8/2017
NCCPrime

Hello and welcome to the service. Could you please list the steps you have tried so far? Thanks

There this a white spring on top inside that I switch once an then hold the remote inside the car otherwise I can not locate a learn button.
Is there a learn button somewhere on this box for programming?

press the "learn code" button on the back of the garage opener unit, then press the button on the remote twice. An LED light on the main unit will indicate if the remote has been found by the unit.

There is no learn code button or any buttons on the back. I do not see a way to open the cover either.
I have taken pictures on top and there are non on the sides either

can i see the pictures

the learn button is near the antenna.

in many instances you need to remove the plastic cover. you need to check carefully for the screws so you be able to open it.

This one has no plastic cover. Did you see a learn button near the antenna in the pictures?

How old is this opener

I am not sure but it is a model 209. Looks old

thats a tough one. There should be a "learn button" near where all those white wires connect on the motor assembly. check it out and let me know.

Yeah took it apart and there is no learn button
Thanks I will seek manual and go from there.

That might be more appropriate. These old equipment doesn't operate as the the new one. Best of luck

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi Elias ........that is very old and you are not going to have a learn button on there...........don't even think about programming it to a HomeLink.............do you have working remote transmitters ?

Are you referencing a remote control/garage opener. If so yes but, its not connecting either

If I may ……… that before you spend money replacing major parts…….because you couldbe looking at a logic board for your too.........I would like to make you aware that you have another option and that is to upgrade your opener ……and consider replacing it………..here is why........

1-) A garage door opener has a life expectancy of 10 -12 years Being that your door opener is a bit antiquated it is very likely to soon fail you at the most inopportune time say inclement weather……. thus locking you either out of your garage. Or even worse yet if you need to get into your garage fast… due to security issues.

2-) Unless your opener has been modified at some point after its original installation ……….. it may have altered or no safety sensors (infrared beams) to make it stop and then reverse on its way down if something such as an animal or small child or your car etc……….. gets in the way of the closing door. This by itself makes it dangerous and even illegal according to current building code. It is just not safe.

3-) New… safe….quiet… user friendly and the best part ……self-diagnosing openers these days start about $150.00

4-) it is the perfect weekend project where you can save on labor on the install

5-) the tracks the garage door are okay to keep unless you see signs that the rollers are wearing in which case they can be replaced.

Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. i recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained

Thanks

eddie

Great!! Thanks for the advise. We had come to the conclusion that we will need to purchase a new one.

you're welcome ...........I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive 5 star rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Thank you for the positive rating............ I hope you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved..........if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

eddie22Island

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor