Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Trying to set my 2017 new car remote control button with my

Customer Question
Liftmaster (Learn) button. I...
trying to set my 2017 new car remote control button with my Liftmaster (Learn) button. I pressed the Learn button and right away pressed and held for 2 seconds (repeated twice as the manual directs) the car's remote button to sync the signals, but nothing is working.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: Liftmaster Professional Formula 1
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Trying to.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: 2017 Highlander. I'm following its owner's manual
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/8/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 1 year ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is eddie …….I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

1-) the make LIFTMASTER and model of the opener. How old it is. And do you have the manual?

2-) the make and model of the car 2017 Highlander

3-) The color of the learn button

4-) do you know where the opener motor (ceiling unit) controls are?

5-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage. What made it go from working to non-working?

6-) if new when you purchased your transmitter did you check for compatibility?

7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Eddie,Thanks for the assistance.1-) the make LIFTMASTER and model of the opener. How old it is. And do you have the manual?
I am at work now and don't have the model # for the opener, but know it was purchased after 2005 and is call the Liftmaster Professional Formula 1. It has always worked well and continues to do so.2-) the make and model of the car 2017 Highlander
2017 Toyota Highlander XLE. It has the "Homexxxx" feature. I can't remember the second part of that word, but know it means that it can also program gates, lights, and other devices in addition to garage doors.3-) The color of the learn button
The Learn button is purple - even though the Liftmaster sticker, which has directions for reprogramming, says it is yellow or orange. I'll have to double check that when I get home.4-) do you know where the opener motor (ceiling unit) controls are?
Yes, I have installed these units before and know how to calibrate them to open and close to the precise spot.5-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage. What made it go from working to non-working?
No disruption. I need help because we just bought the new car and I want to connect it to the opener.6-) if new when you purchased your transmitter did you check for compatibility?
I have two existing transmitters and actually reprogrammed one of them with the Learn button just to see if the Learn button was working. The reprogramming on the transmitter worked well. The problem is with the built-in buttons of the new car.The Toyota manual says something like this:
Press the Learn button on the opener and within 30 seconds do the following
Press and hold for 2 seconds the car button (1, 2, or 3) that you want to program. Repeat this process up to two more times until the opener motor activates. Then you know it has Learned the code.I have tried this multiple times without any success.Before some of my attempts, I have also tried clearing out any old codes that the brand-new car may have had ... by pressing the first and third buttons until the light changes to a quickly flashing green.7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?
Yes, I am very adept at mechanic things.If it will help, tomorrow I can send pictures of the directions on the back of the Liftmaster and the directions from the Toyota manual.Thanks,Andy

HI Andy ......it sounds like you are doing everything right...................what we might do is a hard re-set........

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased. Erase the Highlander also by holding down the 1 and 3 buttons like you did before

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Then lets start with the HomeLink first........see if that works..........Then the transmitters? Hold them with-in 12 inches of the opener when you do

as an alternate method we could try using the remote transmitter I will clue you in on that if this doesn't work///////let me know

Happy Hunting

and thanks

eddie

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor