Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

How to disconnect water from the Whirlpool ice maker?

Customer Question
How do I disconnect the...

How do I disconnect the water from the ice maker? It is Whirlpool MZD27168GEQ Ser #11279819ZW maybe 15-20 years old.

It started pouring water out of the ice maker and I have had to shut the water off to the kitchen. Other than it's Christmas Eve and I have no water to the kitchen until I can shut the water off in the fridge?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
12/25/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Reparer replied 1 year ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Reparer

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Try getting behind the unit and see if there is water shut off valve behind the unit or on it or on the wall that the water tubing is connected too.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The line to the refrigerator is connected directly to the line that comes in under the sink. The only cut off valve cuts off the entire cold water supply into the kitchen

sorry I am not available for a phone call at the moment. What we need to do is locate your water inlet valve which is on the back of the fridge and turn it off. It is more than likely on the right hand side upper or lower portion of the back of the unit.

Most water valves are easy to shut off. If the valve uses a lever to turn it on or off, simply rotate the lever to shut it off. Some valves use a knob. Rotate the knob clockwise to shut it off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have already taken the back cover off the water line connection and looked for a valve. However, I looked again even with a mirror so I could see from all sides and there is no shut off valve. What now?

You have a water inlet valve in there you will just have to find it typically they are blue and look like this.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/61005626/0046/464.html

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have that. Getting ready to leave for Christmas Eve services. Tell me what part of that assembly is supposed to turn and I will try it when I get back.

There should be a knob or switch of some sort that is typically black you will need to turn it counter clockwise in order to shut it off. Enjoy your Christmas Eve service and I hope you no longer have trouble with this for Christmas.

Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Reparer