Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Contractor and Certified Kitchen and Bath Designer
68915091

I'm looking to rehab a house and add more square footage to

I'm looking to rehab a house and add more square footage to it for a return on the investment.I have three questions:1) What is a typical cost per square foot metric to use on residential house to do so?
2) What are the websites I should reference in determining such cost?
3) And where should i look in order to find companies who specialize on adding square footage improvements to residential houses for investors?

Hi, my name is***** Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer. Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting you with your question.

I'm curious as to where you live?

Your questions depend on many things: 1) where you live, 2) what is the price of the existing house, 3) are your improvements going to stay within whatever the house is worth, or were you planning on an upgrade, 4) what rooms are we talking about here, because a kitchen or bath is obviously going to be more expensive than a bedroom.

But generally speaking, the average cost per square foot is usually a range of $117-$125, whether it is a new home you're building or you are remodeling one, costs will be the same. Remodeling is never cheaper just because it's part of a house, rather than a building a whole new house. Sorry, we don't use metric measurements in building here in the U.S. yet, so I can't help you with that unless I have more information from you.

Companies who specialize in adding square footage are architects, home planners (not to be confused with architect), and sometimes designers such as myself, depending on the structure of the house. But the architects are the ones who have been trained to do this sort of thing.

You might find this sight helpful: https://www.fixr.com/costs/build-single-family-house

If you have additional questions regarding this subject, please feel free to ask. Thank you for using Just Answer as your handy, go-to information resource!

Susan

If you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Susan -This is for 32809 zip code. My three questions are particular to an existing home that is being rehabbed. Per 'metric' in my question, i am not referring to the english metric measurement system. By 'metric' i mean data. So therefore per question #1 i can rephrase it as "1). What is typical cost per square foot 'data' to use on residential house to do so?". I think you partially answered it with your response of $117-$125. But since cost varies greatly depending on location, now that you have the location information known per the 32809 zip code, I'd like to ask you to re-answer it given that rehab costs in Orlando are much different than cost per square foot data in San Francisco, DC, New York, etc. of course.Do you have any additional websites you might refer me too? Thanks for www.fixr.com, but it looks a little bit like a lead generation website, i'm just trying to get solid 'cost' data as i embark on my rehab. Thanks very much!

You're welcome!

I don't think the website is the most reliable way to get the information you're looking for.

Here's how most builders or homeowners get their quotes for either new houses or additions:

1. Employ an architect or home planner (you could actually do this yourself as well, depending on the complexity of the remodel) and get drawings on paper and to scale (or with measurements).

2. The drawings on paper give you and whoever you are consulting with, the language or visual, showing them exactly what you want, and with the needed detail.

3. Once you have the drawings, take them to lumberyards, maybe Home Depot or Lowes, and your builder to get quotes. If you can't decide what builder you will be using, have each of them give you quotes. You will leave a drawing with them. If you want itemized lists, ask them if they can do that for you. This would show a break down of approx. costs per room, or however they itemize it. You will leave a drawing with them and come back later to pick up your quote or have them email it to you.

4. Always get at least 3 quotes. Remember these are just quotes and are by no means the final cost. Each of the builders or lumberyards know you are looking for best price, so they are all plugging in the very least expensive products, also called builder quality, into their quotes which means if you want better than that, then you'll need to go in and add individual costs of items you are upgrading.

5. The general rule is to not go with the cheapest quote or the most expensive, but pick one in the middle.

6. Then when you're all done, add 10% to the overall cost.

This is the kind of work you, or anyone else, needs to do to get closest to a final cost. And it still won't be the final cost of the remodel, it just gives you a goal to shoot for. This is something that you'll not find on the internet because each project is just so different.

It's possible that you could go on your local home builders organization website and find some useful information there. You could also find a builder that way too. Usually, the older guys that belong or are members of the organization have been guys that take their work seriously and are committed enough to be part of the local organization. Just google "home builders association" in your area, and you'll find their website.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great advice, thank you!