Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I had a plumber replace a stuck moen shower cartridge a few

Customer Question

hi, I had a plumber replace a stuck moen shower cartridge a few months ago. as soon as he did, the pipes started banging. he was pulling on it like crazy/. but ONLY in that bathroom sink - doesnt bang when the toilet flushes or fills up. and the washing machine. I've turned the whole house water off, did everything i was supposed to do to drain the entire water system, and turned the water back on and still banging. any other ideas?
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: washing machine is brand new (well a few months). it is a whirlpool cabrio platinum. the problem only started right after the shower cartridge was installed.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, i cant afford a plumber. the banging doesn't happen when the shower faucet is turned off and on, only the bathroom sink and washing machine
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: thats all
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Do you mean the pipes bang when you turn the faucet off? or while it;s running?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when I turn them off. doesn't happen with any other pipes except when I turn off and on the bathroom sink (where the shower is), and the washing machine, which is downstairs.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
while they're running, they're fine. no noise or vibration at all
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Ok, you're describing water hammer. The fix is to install water hammer arresters which are essentially shock absorbers. The easiet place to do this without a plumber is at the washing machine to start. Do the washing machine hoses connect to a valve in a box buried in a wall or are they out in the open?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i had to cut the wall to get to the shut off valves so that I can get to them
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Ok, I'm not clear on how accessible they are but here is one option that screws onto the valve hose threads then the hoses screw onto the arrestor.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sioux-Chief-3-4-in-Dia-90-Degree-Copper-Air-Chamber-Fitting/3172327

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok will try it. thank you
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome