Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Light on garage door opener will not work--replacing light

Customer Question
bulb did not help....
Light on garage door opener will not work--replacing light bulb did not help. Help me trouble shoot. Liftmaster Model #1245, Serial #Z7533AOO365 (I think), 1/3 Horse power Manufactured 7/1993
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/7/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Handyman Matt, Handyman replied 1 year ago
Handyman Matt
Handyman Matt, Handyman

Pulled this straight from my LiftMaster tech manual:

There are four causes for the lights on a garage door opener not to come on.

Light bulb
Contacts in the light socket
Light socket
Logic board
Light bulb

Verify that the light bulb has been replaced.
Contacts in the light socket

If the light bulb has been replaced and the light is still not coming on, follow the steps below to pry out the contacts inside the light socket.

WARNING: Failure to unplug the opener may result in electric shock. Unplug the opener. If, there is a back-up battery, disconnect it.
Take out the light bulb.
With a small flathead screwdriver, pry the two contacts inside the socket out so that they will make better contact with the bulb.
Put light bulb back in, if there is a second light, repeat above steps.
If there is a back-up battery, reconnect.
Plug the opener back in. Test the lights.
Light Socket or Logic Board

If the light is still not coming on, it could be the light socket or the logic board. To determine which one it is, follow the steps below.

Unplug the garage door opener, then immediately plug the opener back into the electrical outlet. Listen for the light relay on the logic board to click.
If you hear a click, replace the light socket
If you do not hear a click, replace the logic board.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can be of further help on this subject. Thanks!

Handyman Matt
Handyman Matt
Handyman Matt, Handyman