Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Contractor and Certified Kitchen and Bath Designer
68915091

How to install engineered tongue and groove hardwood on

Customer Question

how to install engineered tongue and groove hardwood on cement floor
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Susan Latta replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer. Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting you with your question.

In short, ou will need to:

1. Make sure the concrete is dry. A new concrete floor needs at least 60 days to completely cure.

2. Sweep the floor well.

3. Check for levelness of the floor with a level to check for uneven areas. Uneven areas can be floated out with a float product.

4. Lay down underlayment paper.

5. When laying your flooring, allow an expansion gap of about 1/2"-inch around the room, on all sides of he room.

6. To start, use the straightest boards, and lay the tongue side toward the wall.

7. Use WPVA glue on the short ends and long pieces you join the planks together, no need to use a lot of this, just a little . Use a short block of flooring as protection or a tapping bock as you hammer each of your joints as you lay each one. Keep you joints tight. Stagger your joints about 6-inches as you go, but avoid H joints and stair stepping joints.

8. Always remember to keep the expansion gaps around the room.

If you have additional questions regarding this subject, please feel free to ask. Thank you for using Just Answer as your handy, go-to information resource!

Susan

If you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
area is 60 x 100 by gluing each board together it won't split on me 2and there's no need to glue down underlay or boards to floor

No, no need to glue down underlayment. You only want to glue the joints of the boards.

Boards should not split. But do pick out any bad boards that are warped, look suspicious, or look defective in any way, and don't use those.

When laying, do alternate between a couple of boxes to get a nice variation of color.