Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Thank you so much! I have a long/narrow dirt drive that has

Customer Question

Good Morning, thank you so much! I have a long/narrow dirt drive that has large tree roots that extend half way across. Living in Florida with heavy rains makes it easy to get stuck. I have several large/old oaks that line the drive. I am scared to shave the roots down so was looking to if digging down and concreting around the roots would be an option.
JA: What kind of climate are you in?
Customer: Florida, heavy rainy at times, very hot and humid. These oaks are probably a hundred years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I want to. My husband and I are very handy
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just want to make the drive passable without our tenants getting hung up on these roots. We are not looking to smooth it out as much as just making so lower vehicles can pass without getting hung up or struck, especially in rainy weather
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I suspect that concrete around/leading up to the roots wouldn't hold up over time. A better approach would be to fill in the low spots with large crushed stone or even tailings (bigger rocks sifted out of gravel).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would it help or hurt if I dug down a little around the root placed the crushed stone and poured some concrete to keep stone in place
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Unless the concrete is at least 3" thick it's likely to break up over time. The easiest option is to just haul in some stone and fill in the low spots.

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

You may have to add to the stone in a few years but it's better for the trees and will also allow some drainage

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

I have to leave for about an hour. If you have more questions I'll respond when I return. If not I'd appreciate a favorable rating, This thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow ups even after you rate me favorably

Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Hi. like rick mention, concrete is not a good idea. Those root will still continue to lift the soil (and they are strong as a slow hydraulic jack). If the trees die, they will rot and make the soil sag, causing concrete base problem. If the win blow the oaks, the concrete will break in large chunk and lift with them.

If you don't like the gravel (a very good solution by the way), you can use paving stone. WIth them you can always fix relatively easily (and at no cost as you are handy) any waving that will eventually happen with growth root.

Please accept Rick solution instead of mine, he was here first.

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Do you have more questions?