Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Garage door stops and starts part way. Sometimes not at all,

Customer Question

Garage door stops and starts part way. Sometimes not at all, other times works fine. Very frustrating.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

~~PLEASE CUT AND PASTE THE NUMBERED QUESTIONS AND PUT YOUR ANSWERS NEXT TO THEM~~

1-) The make CRAFTSMAN and model 1/2 HORSEand/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive? CHAIN

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes.2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner
The unit is 6 years old.3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?
I see no ***** *****ghts; each has a green light that is on steady.4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes
I have one wall control and two remotes.5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? Not getting any LED blinking. The color of the learn button is? Purple.6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage.
There has been a recent power outage.7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ? One day it went from working fine to stopping half way.
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

Hi Jeff.....................all the questions weren't addressed but I am going t o assume you want to try and repair........so what we have to try is erase and a hard re set for starters

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the learn button for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 12 inches of the opener when you do

Please let me know how it goes

Thanks

eddie