Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have Heath zenith model 4133 outdoor light that has

Customer Question
JA: I'll do all I...
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I have Heath zenith model 4133 outdoor light that has started buzzing/humming. The wiring appears ok and i have switch bulbs. Also even without the bulb it still hums.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Fuel in the Tank? This is an electrical outdoor light.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it is something simple yes. But wondering if the light itself is defective in which I will need to replace which I can also do.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just want to know if this is a common issue with an easy fix.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
10/25/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 1 year ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Im assuming this is a dusk to dawn light
The densor can buzz whether the bulb is installed or not.
Be right back
Should read ( SENSOR )
The motion sensor can also make a buzzing sound.
With your type of fixture one of the glass panels can actually start to vibrate if it is loose in the housing.
You can test this by touching different places on the outside of the fixture while it is making the noise.
As for being normal the fixture should not normaly be making a vibrating sound that is loud enough to be disturbing.
If nothing is loose , glass , metal
bulb mount, changing the sensitivity may reduce or eleminate the noise.
If you cannot eleminate the noise with these methods replacing the fixture would be advisable.
It is not necessarily a safety hazard but it could fail just when you need it most.
You can touch the sensor to see if the vibration is inside it.
They can be damaged hy lightning and still work.
It is usually easier and quicker
to replace the whole fixture if the motion sensor is the problem.
This is common enough not to be considered unusual but once corrected does not usually recur.
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor