Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Remodeling our house. Just finished spray texturing the

Customer Question

Remodeling our house. Just finished spray texturing the ceiling and would like to refinish the hardwood oak floors while the baseboard is off and room is clear of furniture. It's 16x32 or like 500 sq. feet. Got estimate for $5000 to have it professionally done. Other companies are scheduling for mid December. I would like to save the cash and do it myself. The floor has no sheen to it and is dull and a reddish/golden stain. Can I get some instructions for renting the correct sander, quality stain, and quality top coat? Also wondering if I can get by with just renting a random orbital sander instead of the belt type?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you plan on doing this yourself your best bet is to rent a large format random orbit sander. It takes 24" square sheets of sandpaper. It is far easier to control than a typical drum type sander rental which I would avoid since this is your first attempt. you can edge with a hand held random orbit. Doing the entire floor with a hand held is not practical and could leave divots if you aren't 100% careful 100% of the time. Minwax makes first rate stains and finishes. I'd use Minwax Polycrylic as a finish coat.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

would like more specifics please, how much stain and poly to purchase, how to apply both, drying time, also are there any great "how to" videos online?

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

You apply the stain with a brush or a rag. Brush or wipe it on, let it set for ~5 minutes then wipe off the excess. If the color isn't dark enough you can apply 1 more coat (only 1 more) after the first coat has dried for 24 hours. Once the stain is dry you apply the Poly. It's normally applied with a wool applicator but this is tricky so using a brush is best for a first timer. Be careful stirring the poly in the can you don't want to stir fast or shake the can which will introduce air bubbles into the Poly which will transfer to the floor. You want to apply at least 2 coats minimum 3 is better. Follow directions on the Poly can. You can search YouTube for videos. I don't know and can't recommend any from first hand experience with these DIY videos. BTW I'd shop around for more quotes. $5k is outrageous for 500 sq ft. Here in the Boston area the going rate is more like $2 a sq ft.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

how do i rate you?

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Please use the stars at the top of the page.