Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a question I just replace the safety sensors on the

Hello I have a question...
Hello I have a question I just replace the safety sensors on the Stanley garage door opener and they are lit up both And I still can't use my remote to closed the door only with the wall button when I hold it down what could be the problem
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: It is a Stanley Model number D1000 B05 I just moved into this place didn't had no safety sensors I just put them on and and pointed to each other so they are both lit up the way they should be But still not working
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: And is that normal there's only two wires that comes from the garage door opener to the sensors
10/19/2016
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

~~PLEASE CUT AND PASTE THE NUMBERED QUESTIONS AND PUT YOUR ANSWERS NEXT TO THEM~~

1-) The make STANLEY and model D1000B05 and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Date code 97114 and I don't have the manual
I don't know how old it is could be around 5 10 years old
And I am not the original owner
Yes I just put both new safety sensors and they are
both on steady red light not flickering
Yes I have a working wall control and two working remotes
There's no learn button
No
I don't know it never worked since I moved in
Yes other than just put new safety sensors
A chain
It goes up normally with the wall button and remote
But if I want to close it I have to push and hold the wall button
If I let go the garage door opener flashes and if I want to close it with the remote the garage door opener just flashes not moving at all
Yes I am capable I'll try my best thank you

there is no learn button so programing is already at a disadvantage........your opener is about 21 years old have you considered replacing it………..here is why........

1-) A garage door opener has a shelf life or life expectancy of 10 -12 years Being that your door opener is a bit antiquated it is very likely to soon fail you at the most inopportune time say inclement weather……. thus locking you either out of your garage. Or even worse yet if you need to get into your garage fast… due to security issues.

2-) you added the sensors not knowing it is functional with that opener Thus it makes it dangerous and not up to code. It is just not safe.

3-).New… safe….quiet… user friendly and the best part ……self-diagnosing openers these days start about $150.00

4-) it is the perfect weekend project where you can save on labor on the install

5-) the tracks the garage door areokay to keep unless you see signs that the rollers are wearing in which case they can be replaced.

Overall consensus is the Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman brand openers are the most reliable on the market today……. they seem to last a bit longer than other brands before they start to malfunction and are easy and inexpensive to repair ………without having to purchase a new opener unit. i recommend these brands to my clients because of their reliability……… a new Chamberlain Liftmaster/Craftsman opener that is properly installed should last 10-12 years before any problems occur…….and that the tracks are maintained

sorry for the bad news but I needed to point out that option

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think it ever had a learn button those safety sensors program automatically
2-) you added the sensors not knowing it is functional with that opener
Thus it makes it dangerous and not up to code. It is just not safe.
What is not safe putting new safety sensors on
And they are the same sensors for the same garage door opener that it supposed to be
So I just paid you $25 to tell me I need a new garage door opener
anybody could've told me that I just bought the new sensors for it that's why I was asking Just answer.com

no I just suggested ....like I said as an option

I was talking about programming the remotes........... not the sensors

and as long as the sensors work with your equipment and functional then it doesn't pose a threat

what we can try is a .........

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

Please let me know how it goes

Thanks

eddie

.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I reset it and it didn't solve the problem
And it has 10 two position dip switches on the remotes and the garage door opener that's how they program
And on the garage door opener there is only two connecting wires for the sensors I just hooked them up to the existing wires and point them together so the lights were both on, sender and the receiver
Then I figured it could be a broken wire then I hook them up with new wires closer to the garage door opener and point them together so they were both on still didn't work and where I bought those sensors he said it's for that garage door opener it should be the right ones
So I'm guessing it must be the garage door opener

On that wire hook up..............lets try this ...........two of those wires may be white or have a white tracer twist them together and if there are 3 terminal to hook up to .....put that in the middle ........sender wire on the left and receiver on the right ...........you may have to switch them around ................please let me know

Thanks

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like I said it has only two wires to connect the sensor on the garage door opener it's a gray Stanley garage door opener

it should have 4 wires ...........two sensors........two wires each ........are they behind the wall?......................could be the problem

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi you remember me from that troubleshooting on my Stanley garage door opener ? I have it figured out now what the problem was it was so simple waiting for your response thank you

Hi Abram..........the solution........was it something we went over or discussed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope I found a solution somewhere else . I just had to connect those safety sensors correctly, the way you told me did not work. if you tell me now how to connect the two sensors correctly I will give you a good review. like I said the garage door opener has only 2 terminals/wires to connect both sensors

Two things Abram..........I am not there which makes things twice as hard to diagnose......two.....you have an old unit and every opener has something different with it for instance you have dip switches and no learn button........but I would say they get tied together and put in........so if you are asking me to jump through a hoop now when I was only suggesting, inquiring and working toward a solution for you ...........you can forego the positive rating......but please don't levy a negative one because I don't feel I would deserve that

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The garage door opener has two terminals I Connect those to wires to the two terminals they go both to the sender sensor and then from there 2 wires go from the sender sensor to the receiver sensor that's it. I just thought I would let you know how I connected them. I just feel like deserve my money back, because it just made it harder for me to ask you for suggestions. But I know I am not very good at explaining and you tried your best Thanks nice working with you

I didn't get rated by you so I don't get credited or paid .......you paid for a subscription to Just Answer so if you need to get that money refunded you would contact customer service ........that I have nothing to do with..............good luck to you

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Thank you Abram for the positive rating............ that was nice of you

eddie22Island

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are welcome
Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor