Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Contractor and Certified Kitchen and Bath Designer
68915091

I ordered a lawn sweeper 7/28/16 and it does not work

Customer Question

I ordered a lawn sweeper 7/28/16 and it does not work correctly, have been told by Sears today during the many calls I have made that it is under warranty for a year with craftsman, I need help! Jean Leggett order ####-##-####
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Since we stated using it!
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I don't know what to do to fix it!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We carried it back to Sears in Greenville, NC yesterday and they said we should have carried it back within 30 days but my husband was trying to use it to see if it would work better but he say the brush goes up and down and won't stay in place!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Susan Latta replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer. Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting you with your question.

I really hate hearing stories like this because customer's feel like they have no recourse, even though they have followed the rules, been honest and fair about the item they purchased, but the sales help is of little or no help and leave the customer feeling helpless. I work in retail where appliances and mowers and such are sold and I've heard stories like this over and over. Believe me, this is not uncommon. I will offer you the same advice as I do to other customers who've had the same experience as you are having.

Basically your item was purchased at the end of July, so it's been about 2 months in your possession. An attempt to use it has been made X number of times, in which none of the X times has it performed as it was designed to do. Is this correct so far? So, it still probably even looks like new!

Here's the deal, a new appliance, mower, or any other piece of equipment SHOULD ALWAYS work when it's taken out of the box! ALWAYS! Period. The customer should never have to make numerous phone calls and visits to where it was purchased to work out a deal or to try to get the place of business to offer solutions. It's a new piece of equipment and it's supposed to work! It shouldn't matter that it's been 60 days instead of 30 days. It never worked the first day, the 15th day, the 29th day, the 50th day, nor the 62nd day!

So first of all, do not allow them to bully you, which is what their doing now. So, I advise this to you:

1. STOP all the phone calling to the store and Craftsman (and worrying), hoping they will offer help.

2. Load the item in your truck along with it's parts and pieces. Remember to take your receipt, or credit card statement, or whatever proves your purchase of this item.

3. Haul it back to the store where you purchased it, making sure you take the item directly to the customer service desk, or wherever returns are made.

4. Tell the customer service person that you are returning the item and want your money back because it doesn't work, that it never worked, it didn't work the first day you got it home, nor the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time you tried it. Stay determined and unwilling to back down.

5. More than likely the customer service person will give you your money back without any problem or too many questions.

6. However, if she/he does start questioning or challenging you and you find yourself having to defend yourself and your reasons. Just STOP, stay calm, raise your voice and say, "I AM NOT taking this back home, it's a defective piece of equipment. It doesn't work, it never worked, and I want my money back or I will never shop here again. I want to speak to the store manager! I want to see what he says about his store selling faulty merchandise to customers!" Especially if there are other customers around that can hear you say this, the customer service people will be scrambling to make you happy and to keep you quiet.

7. That should get you what you want.

If this doesn't work, I would be surprised. If this by chance is a Lowe's store, they will always take a 60-day old item back just to keep you a happy, loyal customer and to keep you coming back. If the other stores don't do the same, I would be surprised. Try this and let me know what happens.

Another word of advice, before you ever purchase a large item from a store, always read the customer reviews on the company's website. You will learn so much from others' experience, and it will keep you from buying items that perform poorly. This is the only way to shop these days!

If you have additional questions regarding this subject, please feel free to ask. Thank you for using Just Answer as your handy, go-to information resource!

Susan

If you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.

Once you have your money back, you are free to shop for another one at Sears or any other store. BUT READ THE REVIEWS FIRST! The sales help can help you do this as well.

Thank you,

Susan

Did you find my suggestions helpful? If so, please don't forget to rate my service. Thank you!

Susan

Was I helpful in resolving your issue? If you have no further questions I can help with, please don't forget to click on a rating star to rate the service.

Thank you!

Susan