Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I cannot get my genie garage door to reprogram it works fine

Customer Question
I cannot get my genie...
I cannot get my genie garage door to reprogram it works fine manually, but not by remote I replaced the batteries and followed the manual
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I followed all the steps in the book with no luck. could this be the photocells?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 1 year ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

~~PLEASE CUT AND PASTE THE NUMBERED QUESTIONS AND PUT YOUR ANSWERS NEXT TO THEM~~

1-) The make GENIE and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
genie 1022/1024/1042. I have the manual. I am not the original owner. I don't know how old the unit is but it looks to be in good shape and has worked perfectly until today. I have one green and one red light on the sensors.it is a chain drive unit. I have no wall control but the two original remotes both worked until today. I can close or open the door manually from the unit but nothing happens when I hit the remote. The red light sensor was off the bracket but that is all I can find that was out of the ordinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I hit the remote the light on the unit blinks red nothing happens otherwise
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is a genie model 1042

and no wall control?..............not even a like a door bell button?...............and if so does that work ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no wall control that I can find

there always is one..........if you are in your garage without the remote transmitter how would you normally open the door?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know. I just bought this house. it worked fine until today. I don't see one at all
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found it on the outside. its not working either

it might be by the garage door too..........its just a button I need to see if that is working first

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is not working

lets do a hard re set first .......

what I would like to do is erase the transmitters then a hard reset and then and re program.......then we will get more creative as we go

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the learn button for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

Please let me know how it goes

both the sensors have a steady light too right ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the LED wont go out

on the sensors?......it's not supposed to

do you have a blinking light on the opener and if so how many times does it blink before a pause ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
steady light on the sensors. green blinking light on the opener. no pause
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it did not work the steps per the manual are to hold down learn button until it blinks the hit any button on transmitter and then hit again . light should go out. it did all that but I got nothing

did you do the hard re set ?............erase the remotes by holding the learn button for 10 seconds

I have to go offline now........we can pick this up again tomorrow ........I will check back and leave a response then

Thanks

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried the hard reset it didn't work. this would work better if they would stop trying to sell me crap throughout the process. Thanks

you may have had a power surge and it did some damage to the circuit board because some of the things that were tried should have gotten us somewhere.......if you are following the programming to the letter you should see a blinking light for it to be ready to be programmed..........if not then something else is awry...............the blinking on the opener (ceiling motor) should have a pause too if you could verify that ........and maybe someone removed the wall control but you should have one and maybe that is why we can't program now............do you see just a wire leading by an entry door?.................maybe the previous owners thought it was a good controller and took it with them .......I don't know but it's not normal to not have one.............we might have to put a low voltage wire in to test it............let me know

Thanks

eddie

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

If you have any additional questions so that I may be rated or concerns, construction.......decorating....... any kind of repairs, etc I will be here for you

thank you

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor