Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

What happens when you hear the motion detector click but the

Customer Question

What happens when you hear the motion detector click but the lights won't come on? I just installed a new 935cb .
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 12 months ago.

Are you saying it does not coming on at all?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No it doesn't. But the garage door will open.

Ok give me just a minute while I look into this for you. Bare with me please.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
ok

Press the Light button to turn the opener light on or off. When the door is opened or closed, the light

will remain on for 4-1/2 minutes. Press the Light button to turn it off sooner. The Light button will not control the opener light when the door is in motion. When using the opener lights as working lights, we recommend that you first disable the motion sensor. See Automatic Light Override Feature, below. When used with openers manufactured after May 15, 1999, (check the date on the opener panel) the 4-1/2 minute interval can be changed to 1-1/2, 2-1/2, or 3-1/2 minutes as follows: Press and hold the Lock button until the light blinks (about 10 seconds). A single blink indicates that the timer is reset to 1-1/2 minutes. Repeat the procedure and the light will blink twice, resetting the timer to 2-1/2 minutes. Repeat again for a 3-1/2 minute interval, etc., up to a maximum of four blinks and 4-1/2 minutes.

The opener light will turn on automatically when a person enters the garage. When a person walks in front of the door control, the opener light will come on for five minutes, then shut off. This feature works by detecting body heat. It is more sensitive in front of the door control than at its sides, and works better as a person moves closer. It may not work in temperatures around 100°F (38°C). To disable this feature, slide the Detector Switch on the right

side of the door control down (off).

So since the garage door is working I am wondering if something may have been hooked up wrong or turned off when being installed? Did you do the install yourself?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The garage door opener was installed 8 years ago. The light problem just started 1 month ago.

Ok so the light was working before then I take it?

I am just trying to get a basic understanding of what is going on is all.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
it was.

Ok so then my next question is did any water or anything get on the unit or control panel or any wires that look like they have been chewed threw or damaged in any way?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not at all. I also changed the bulbs because I thought the bulbs blew out.

http://www.chamberlain.com/CatalogResourcesV3/en-us/shared/files/tucmanuals/114A2398.pdf

Was it the same type of bulb you replaced it with? Are you sure the bulb is good and not blown? I know these probably sound like dumb questions but its just a process of elimination.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The new bulbs were good and recommended for garages. The problem gradually ocurred. There were times that the light took longer to come on and then it eventually stopped.

ok so that sounds to me like possibly a blown fuse or something to do with the wiring itself. Give me a moment to look into a few things for a moment and I will get right back to you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am still waiting for a response in order to finish this discussion.

So I have searched all over and besides finding the fact of something being wrong with the wiring or the wrong kind of bulb I am coming up empty. Would you like me to open this up to other experts?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No thanks

I apologize I was unable to find any information as to why something like this would happen. not everything is just a simple answer. If you do figure it out I would love to know.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay

Thank you