Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I'm building an addition on my house. I dug into the to do…

Customer Question
I'm building an addition on...
I'm building an addition on my house. I dug into the hill to do it. Will the county make build a retaing wall before I build my addition or will it come up in final grading inspections?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/12/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 1 year ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Depending on the steepness of the hill when you get your foundtion inspection .
The county can let you know how high a wall you need and when you have to build it.?
It is often best to have it already in place during construction to prevent erosion into the site.
Building a retaining wall at final grading works on a shallow slope and depending on how far the wall will be from the structure
It is often best to have the county made aware of the need for a retaining wall before the foundation inspection.
This can serve to your benefit by having excavation and masonry work for the addition done at the same time.
Any wall that is needed to protect workers and the structure from a sudden collapse should be completed at the beginning if construction.
This is a link to a site you may find helpful
http://buenahomesbuilder.com/retaining_walls_ventura.htm