Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Spa GFCI trips when the heater comes on. It's 110v, 15 amp

Customer Question

Spa GFCI trips when the heater comes on. It's 110v, 15 amp and runs fine when on low AND when jets are on (high switch). It's the type of spa where the jets and heater will not work at same time; it only heats when the high jets are not on. Why would it only trip when it's trying to heat but not when we turn the jets on? We've had it 4 years and suddenly the GFCI started tripping. We replaced the plug-in cord with the recommended 15 amp SWJT 12 gauge GFCI cord but the problem is not solved. The white (neutral) wire on the old cord had turned black for about 4" from where it entered and was wired into the spa.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

You really need an electrician to be onsite to look. Burnt wiring is not something to mess with. I would guess that your heating element is grounding out in the housing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay thanks. I'll get one out here.

Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

Good idea. Not worth the risk.Do you know what a GFCI is?

Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

Or are there any other questions you have for me?