Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

This morning the garage door cannot be opened. I found one

Customer Question
Hi, This morning the garage...
Hi, This morning the garage door cannot be opened. I found one of the sensor light is yellow and the other is green. And when I touch the green light sensor, the light will shut down, but the yellow one not. What should I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Last night it still worked. And this morning it cannot be opened
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I think so if it is easy to do that.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Can you tell me what's wrong with it and how can I fix that
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/10/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 1 year ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

~~PLEASE CUT AND PASTE THE NUMBERED QUESTIONS AND PUT YOUR ANSWERS NEXT TO THEM~~

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it? Make: Chamberlain Part No. is 41A9060-1 IC:2666A is(###) ###-####2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner Maybe from 2005 to now and I'm not the original owner3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering? one is steady amber and the other one is steady green.4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes We have a wall control and two remotes. But all of them don't work.5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is? Yes, there is a LED light. But it does't blinks.6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage I don't think so.7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ? I don't know. I worked last night, but it not work this moring. We didn't do anything about it.8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener? I have no idea.9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive? I think so.10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses? it goes maybe 1cm and then stop.11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary? I can try.But it depends.

you may have a safety sensor that has gone bad or it may be directly affected by the weather right now.............what state do you reside in and is there and direct sunlight on the sensor?............what I would like to do is start off with a reset and then we can get more creative if need be

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the learn button for 6 or 7 seconds

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

Please let me know how it goes

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor