Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have an infra red passive detector lamp outside my kitchen

Customer Question

Hello!I have an infra red passive detector lamp outside my kitchen door (external), and it's underneath a canopy of clematis. The clem flowers and stamens have finished for the year yet the foliage is still there.My question is: of a night time, the lamp comes on, without any visible trigger. How can I stop it from doing this without cutting the clem down please?Kind regardsKate
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the clematis foliage is above the sensor then try re-positioning the sensor so it points away from the foliage. It's also possible that small animals could be triggering the sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rick, I will try and get you a photo later for you to see......
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, click on ADD FILES next to the SEND button to post a picture

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rick, here's photo 1 of 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo 2 of 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have had extra growth on this clem within the last 2 weeks, which is now why you can see whispy bits to the right of the lamp.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I don't see any clematis in front of the motion sensor. Based on your pictures I doubt the clematis is the cause of the unexplained triggering. I'd be more inclined to think it is animals that are triggering the sensor. The sensor is infra red so it detects body heat. The clematis is essentially the same temp as the surrounding air so I doubt even wind moving it would trigger the light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
True, we get a few moths hanging around, but nothing I could see that could physically trigger said PIR. There is an 8' fence to the right of the lamp too, so as far as I can understand, nothing from that side could cause a trigger!
Any other ideas how I can stop this Rick?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We haven't got a cat or a dog. We keep rabbits and birds, but they live in the house, so are not an issue.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Just because you don't have pets doesn't mean stray animals can't wander through your yard and trigger the light. There's no way you can prevent this sort of trigger unless you want to trap these animals.