Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I am having the same problems with the same door as above

Customer Question
1146LM. It opens randomly...
I am having the same problems with the same door as above 1146LM. It opens randomly after I added a second remote. I've been trying to figure out how to erase it's memory so I can go back to just the one that doesn't cause the problem but I can't seem to make it work
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
8/23/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 1 year ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a broad spectrum of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. I am not there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) are you using ONLY the equipment that came with this opener?

8-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

9-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1) Lift-Master 1146LM. Don't have the physical manual but found one online2) the date on it say 1991. Not the original owner3) no safety sensors. Only thing that stops it is running into something4) wall button and 2 remotes all work. Remotes are not original. I just added one remote this past weekend and that's when the door started opening on its own.5) no unusual lights everything works normally except the door sometimes opens on its own.6) the only change is that I added a new remote and replaced battery in old remote.7) No, remotes are not original. The first one is a Clicker from 07/03. The new one I just added is a Clicker purchased this year.8) transmitters work fine with no problems but door opens on its own sometimes.9) we can try to make adjustments yes.Again, the door works fine, except it opens on its own since I added the second clicker

Hi with the door opening on its own suggests that you have a neighbor that is on the same frequency but if we could start with this...........

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

Please let me know how it goes

Thanks

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Eddie,I tried unplugging before but not removing the batteries. Will try that later. I had to go back to work. Thanks!

sure...........let me know...... then we can get more creative...........is it the Klik2 or 3 that you purchased?...............and did the salesman say it was compatible?...........you have to realize that the unit you have is a bit antiquated.........shelf life is usually 10 years..........have you thought about another?

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor