Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

My neighbor needed to replace his drive belt on his

Customer Question
Chamberlain Liftmaster Pro. He...
My neighbor needed to replace his drive belt on his Chamberlain Liftmaster Pro. He put the new belt on and it didn't work well. only moved a few feet toward close and stopped. He adjusted the close pot and everything else. The unit will not change from close to open rotation and jumps teeth trying to close a closed door. It sounds like the closer doesn't know its closed. Ho does he fix this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
8/20/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 1 year ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a broad spectrum of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. I am not there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

1-) The make CHAMBERLAIN and model LIFTMASTER PRO and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) are you using ONLY the equipment that came with this opener?

8-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

9-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. yes we found the manual for it on line. 2. my neighbor is no the original owner and it is 5+ yrs old. 3. safety sensors are installed and both leds are illuminated and steadily on. 4. The wall remote works and their are two remotes. 5. when the opener stops, a 2 or 3 (both at different occasions), and the learn button is red. 6. none other than the old belt being removed and a new one installed. 7. yes. 8. when the transmitter is pressed without the door locked to the trolley, it will proceed to the end of its travel and try to keep going. It will jump teeth and then stop. The next press will reverse direction and it will bang against the stop on the other end. If the door is attached, it will move toward the close position. Adjustment of the lower limit pot will get it to the right position, but then it will not open when the remote is pressed. It keeps trying to close. 9. Yes

Hi .............right off it seems to me that the belt or drive re-install went awry somehow.........were the directions followed to the letter?........after the re-install the DOWN and OPEN limits has to be reset .........which if I am not mistaken you said it was done?.......if you could forward the link to the manual that you have to me I can see if the process is correct or if the one I am thinking of will work better.......there are probably arrow keys on that opener that were used right?

back to the belt drive.......was the right size used?........there should be about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch from the trolley rail to the belt as far as tension goes ...........and if you could send me the model number

thanks

eddie

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor