Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I was working on my hardwood floor. I sanded it to bare wood

Customer Question

Hi, I was working on my hardwood floor. I sanded it to bare wood and then applied stain(color) to the floor. its been more than 4 days and it still not dry. it feel tacky to the touch. please help me, I need to fix this issue before tuesday because I have the C of O inspector coming to inspect the house.
Thank you
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Water or oil based stain?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
oil based stain
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Ok, what you describe usually happens when the stain is put on too heavily. Stain should be applied then the excess wiped off once it's had a chance to soak in a while. If you're trying to get a darker look by applying multiple coats of stain this can also happen. It still may not be too late. Try wetting a rag with mineral spirits (turpentine or paint thinner) then wipe down the tacky surface with the rag. This will usually remove the tack but it may lighten the color a bit. Try it in an inconspicuous spot first before doing the entire floor.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I will try that
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

You're welcome. Let me know how it goes.