Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I want to buy or create something in basement to enclose a

Customer Question
25.00" H x 17.25" W...
I want to buy or create something in basement to enclose a 25.00" H x 17.25" W x 19.75" D safe
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: new
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have a wall build by friend to divide the basement in two,
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not yet
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
7/29/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, Build a 2 x 2" wood frame around two sides of the safe as it sits in the corner, and cover each side with 1/4" wood paneling, attach the side with dry wall screws, and hang a sign on it that says 'sump pump' or some such

Set up the screws so that you only have to remove 2 of them to pull the panel off to access the safe.

Your wall building friend can easily do that for you in less than a hour if you buy the 2x2's, 1" long dry wall screws, and a sheet of wall paneling.

Let me know what you think of that approach, we can go from there.

Make the top of the box strong enough to hold small refrigerator, other appliance or shelving.

If you want even better security, drill a 3/4" hole in the bottom of the box, and a 5/8" x 4" long expansion bolt and bolt it to the floor from inside the box.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This idea would be after I bowl say to the floor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bolt

Yes

Main thing is hiding it, that is your best defense.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A safe would be on the concrete floor right

yes

but only if you are sure the basement will not flood or if all you have in the safe is a few junk silver coins etc, no paper documents

Locate the 'finish and rate' link when you have the data you need, that is the only way the company pays me for my time and expenses. Thanks!

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer