Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

We would like to have a wide water table trim added to the

Customer Question

We would like to have a wide water table trim added to the base of our existing cedar siding. Our contractor is stating he can just nail it right over it, then caulk the top to prevent water damage. I however, have been told by several people, that's not correct. That the base of the siding would need to be cut off to allow for flashing to be installed behind the siding to go over top of the new base trim. What is the correct way?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Installing new flashing is the correct way but it can be slipped under the bottom siding course. You don't need to remove the siding. All that may need to be done is to cut the nails on the bottom siding course assuming you have clapboards or similar siding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The siding goes almost all the way to the ground, so to get the look, it would need to be cut I guess.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Yes you would need to remove some siding. I was under the impression you already had something in place and just wanted to make it wider.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any more questions?