How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Machinc Your Own Question
Machinc, General Contractor
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 911
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Machinc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Guadalupe County, Texas what is the code outer walls on

Customer Question

In Guadalupe County, Texas what is the code for insulating outer walls on existing home when remodeling. Is there a code that states you must have insulation in outer walls. Could you chose not to insulate. Are there any exception codes? For example older homes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
All exterior walls must be insulated on a structure that is built to be inhabited.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if the walls were not insulated before the remodeling. Or older homes. Are there any exceptions.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
The part of the house that is being remodeled would have to meet the current National Building Code.
If part of the house is untouched
( as in adding a room) to an older home then the untouched part may possibly cobsidered " grand fathered" and exempt.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
If the entire interior is being gutted and the whole house remodeled then it is likely all the exterior walls would have to be brought up to code
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Not insulating would not likely be a choice that would be allowed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
If it is a cabin or historic home, a structure that will not be occupied set up a neeting with your local building inspector to arrange for an exception. It may not be granted but they can guide you as to what they will accept
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
For exterior walls a value of r13 is the minimum.

Related Home Improvement Questions