Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

In Guadalupe County, Texas what is the code outer walls on

Customer Question
In Guadalupe County, Texas what...
In Guadalupe County, Texas what is the code for insulating outer walls on existing home when remodeling. Is there a code that states you must have insulation in outer walls. Could you chose not to insulate. Are there any exception codes? For example older homes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
7/21/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 1 year ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
All exterior walls must be insulated on a structure that is built to be inhabited.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if the walls were not insulated before the remodeling. Or older homes. Are there any exceptions.
The part of the house that is being remodeled would have to meet the current National Building Code.
If part of the house is untouched
( as in adding a room) to an older home then the untouched part may possibly cobsidered " grand fathered" and exempt.
If the entire interior is being gutted and the whole house remodeled then it is likely all the exterior walls would have to be brought up to code
Not insulating would not likely be a choice that would be allowed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you
If it is a cabin or historic home, a structure that will not be occupied set up a neeting with your local building inspector to arrange for an exception. It may not be granted but they can guide you as to what they will accept
For exterior walls a value of r13 is the minimum.
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor