Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I just installed a microwave drawer in our house. when I

Customer Question
I just installed a microwave...
I just installed a microwave drawer in our house. when I push the "open" button the drawer opens all the way. When I push the "close" button the drawer closes all the way and then opens about 1 inch.
What can be causing this problem?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 2 days by:
7/12/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Susan Latta, General Contractor replied 1 year ago
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor

Hi my name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question today.

Is this a new dishwasher drawer or used one? Did you put a level on it before or after installation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Microwave drawer not dishwasher. Brad d new

Hi Brad,

My apologies for using the name of the wrong appliance. In my head, we were both talking about the microwave, but having been distracted, I used the name of the wrong item. So sorry.

Obviously something isn't staying latched.

1. Have you installed these before? If not, you may want to go back and read the installation instructions again to see if you missed something on the installation end of it, or assumed something you shouldn't have. I've done this before and it made all the difference in the world, to do it their way as instructed.

2. Look closely at the latching mechanism to see if you can see why it's being released. The first thing that comes to mind is, if it's not sitting perfectly level, gravity could be giving it a mind of it's own. Put a level on it, it should be sitting perfectly level, or problems will occur.

3. Just because it's a Bosch doesn't mean you won't have problems with it out of the box. As an example, Bosch dishwashers are notorious for problems, and not a dishwasher I would recommend.

4. Lastly I would call Bosch's Customer Care ,(###) ###-#### ***** see what they say about why the microwave door is not staying closed.

• If they say, "oh it sounds like you forgot to do something," and they give you an answer immediately and it sounds plausible, follow their instructions.
  • If they say something like, "we'll send a technician out to look at it." Refuse their service and immediately uninstall the microwave and return it to where you got it. Then, either try another Bosch, or another brand instead.

WORD OF CAUTION: DO NOT BRING TECHNICIANS OUT ON A BRAND NEW APPLIANCE!! It's supposed to work right, right out of the box, NOT BE FAULTY RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!! I've seen this over and over where people have problems with an appliance soon after installation, they're advised a technician will come out to fix it (maybe taking weeks to get there), and then they have problems with the appliance for years, time wasted waiting for repair people to come over and over, being promised things they never get, feeling the whole time like they were "taken" and lied to, until they can't stand it any longer and buy a new one. I advise you to not take that chance!

And although this isn't what you wanted to do and more trouble for you, it beats the alternative and it's the smart thing to do. You can protest by not buying another Bosch. And this applies to any brand, not just Bosch.

If you have additional questions regarding this subject, please feel free to ask. Thank you for using Just Answer as your handy, go-to information resource!

Susan

If you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help. You did not make a mistake, my name is***** was spell check correcting "brand" to "Brad".
I did call Bosch simultaneously when I contacted you, thinking that if you couldn't help I would already be in their que and they are sending a tech out on Tuesday. I may have contacted you too late because I have just renovated both of our kitchens in and used Bosch throughout...,keeping my fingers crossed.
Back to the problem at hand. The microwave is mounted to the face of the cabinet so "yes" it's both level and plumb.
I will see what happens on Tuesday and make my decision as to whether to keep or exchange the unit. Let me know if you would be interested in any feedback.Thank youJoe

Hi Joe ,

Yes, absolutely I want to hear any feedback from what you are told!

If the problem isn't an easy fix for the service tech, for example, he found a loose screw and tightened it up, or because you had installed the microwave upside down when it should have been right side up (I'm joking!) My point is, if it was an obvious, easy fix and no part had to be ordered, then let him do his thing. But if he tells you he'll have to order a part to fix it, then generously decline, and take the unit back for another one. I wouldn't tell him your plans, in case he's been coached to talk you out of taking it back (I don't know if they are). People get too patient about these things because they don't want to go to the trouble to return it. And they are the ones that will pay the price for a lemon appliance.

Bosch makes wonderful, and delightful appliances to look at, but don't take what I said and live on razors edge waiting for them to implode. You should be fine. Within 30 days, you can take any new appliance back; within 1 year, you could probably make a scene with the store manager and he'll take them back; but after that you're on your own. You can still buy extended warranties for the products you purchased, for 3 or 5 years.

If you haven't done so, I would go back and read the reviews on all the Bosch appliances you purchased so you have an idea of what to expect. If that store doesn't provide them, go to www.lowes.com and they will have hundreds of reviews on any given appliance, not all appliances of course, but a whole lot of them.

Let me know results from Bosch's service tech. Thanks!

Hi Joe,

What did you find out about your microwave?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The service tech is scheduled for today.
Susan Latta
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor