Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I'm trying to come up with a smart way (cost efficient and

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'm trying to come up with a smart way (cost efficient and effective) to insulate a commercial roll-up door. I have a picture of the door attached.
I would like to have something that doesn't interfere in opening and closing the door. Is there any material that can between the joints of the door or that's thin enough on the door itself that would provide some good insulation but not interfere with the door rolling up and down? Thanks for your help!
Jason
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I don't see the pic of the door. Click on ADD FILES next to the SEND button to post a pic here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

No way to insulate this type of door. Any insulation you apply will add to the thickness of the door which will interfere with it fitting into the cylinder it retracts into.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so what options do I have?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you want an insulated door you'll have to replace the door with a panel type overhead door. There really is not way to insulate what you have now. Another option would be to hang heavy retractable curtain behind the door but I don't know if that's practical for your situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a particular type of curtain that's for this application? Or what about something on the outside of the door? I'm looking for any viable option. We don't open the door that often, but we do like to open it now and then...

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If it's seldom opened you could put 2" X 2' x 8' sheets of rigid foam in front of the door (inside) then remove the sheets when you want to open the door. You'd have to build a frame to hold the sheets in place. The frame can't be attached to the door or door channels at each end. It would take a few to remove the foam but it would be well insulated