HIC-Expert
HIC-Expert,
Experience:  dasdasd
93975677

I made the mistake of rebuilding a former house into an

Customer Question

I made the mistake of rebuilding a former green house into an addition to our home. Previously, the roof was fiber glass and the sides were too. It was a nice structure and didn't cause humidity problems. I put on a nice metal roof with sheet rock siding. I didn't do anything to the flooring though. That was the mistake. The floor is painted 2x4 which is spaced about a quarter inch apart. It is about 12 inches above the ground. I have to run a dehumidifier to keep the vapor down to about 45 or 50. If I turn it up the humidity goes up to about 80. There is no access other than to take the flooring up. Can I take the intermittent boards up and stretch a vapor barrier down the width and length or do I need to put a flooring above the 2x4s or replace the 2x4s. I want to do what works and is the least expensive.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Hello I can help
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
You are saying you have a 2 x 4 floor as you finish floor and those are also your floor joists?
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
If you floor joists are the 2 x 4 you spoke of no wonder you have a humidity percentage of 80%. You are attempting to dry the ground bellow the floor and there is too much moisture in the ground plus there is always more moisture AC unulating.
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Accumulating
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
if you are with me, you will need to inspect under your floor( yes pull the floor up)
1. What is supporting the floor? Is there a footing? Are there pier supports ? Concrete footing supporting a beam? From what you describe I don't think any if these are the case. I think you have some simple form of above ground support which is not suitable for a room addition. You have added a Dollie fo of which requires much more dead load than you have for a simple fiberglass panel roofing. What are your walls constructed with and what framing are you supporting and attaching your roof to?
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
In order for me to help you at all I will need some answers , I am not here to any other purpose than to answer your questions. Because you will have many. Would you like it set up a service agreement where you pay a fee in exchange for ability to ask as many questions as you need for one rate. any time
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me? I am here to help you even though you seem to have yourself in a real mess, there are things you can do to help your need.
Anything I tell you is only for information, and not an instruction, or an apt oval of any kind that I am offering to your project. . I have not seen your room nor have any knowledge of you getting a permit From what it sounds like you have not. Your house your choice the way I see it, however you have some issues that must be addressed. Thr roof, the floor , the walls, the window and door, you must have a window for egress. Escape in case of fire. Etc I offered you the phone call , but if you prefer we may continue here. I will help you with your moisture problem but I am not approving what you gave constructed nor do I claim to be authorized to do so, I am a licensed building contractor and even I must get a permit and have an authorized signature.
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
You need to create a vapor barrier , my suggestion to you is to lay one down over the floor you have and install a finish floor over the top.
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
You are going to need a serious vapor, bug and insect, critter barrier, unless you have done something to thr outside to prevent rodents etc.
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
The gap between your floor joists (2x4) must be covered , you can do this by purchasing a vapor barrier material. It is much like a tarp material with interwoven ,
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
This material is strong enough to keep out most pestilence so youll be wAnting to begin by stapling this barrier to the tops of the 2X4 except you cannot get to the bottom or react? Once this is done , you'll need to install a plywood or a type of tongue and groove sheathing material to create a solid floor. Then you will need to seal the perimeter of the floor, this will complete your (sub-floor) you will need to cover the sheathing with a finish floor. Don't recommend any heavy like tile because I don't know your weight limitations are sufficient as is?
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps you . There is one more important thing and that is there needs to be some ventilation into the crawl space under the floor. You must provide air circulation or you may get a mold and fungus which could make you I'll. When making the vents be sure to cover them with wire mesh to prevent rodents etc from dwelling here.
My name is David
Thank you for submitting your question to JustAnwswer
Please provide toy rating using the stars provided, thanks
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.

Just to let you know. If you do not rate an expert with at least a three we dont get paid. we get full credit only with a 5 star rating. Thank you >