Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Not too sure, but the copper line between the inside unit

Customer Question
and outside condenser is very...
Not too sure, but the copper line between the inside unit and outside condenser is very hot. It doesn't appear the outside condenser is running, it is real clean so I don't think that is the issue. Their is also a high pitched noise coming from the inside unit near where the copper line goes into
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Just changed the filter, that was probably too old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: thermostat is controlling the unit
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: umm if the fix is simple
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Contractor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/25/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What device are you asking this question about, please?

Is the copper line a single line (just going out), or a double line (there should be one coming in again, I think.) ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Air Conditioning.There is a single copper line from the outside condenser to the inside unit.

OK. Thanks.

The copper line is a single line. IF fluid were circulating through a condenser or cooler, then you'd think there would be a return line.

Is the air conditioner providing cooling, some... or not?

What maker, model #, is the main unit (not the condenser, though I wouldn't mind hearing about that) ?

The lines might need recharging with coolant, but that's just a notion at this stage. Let me know more, what I just asked about, please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not providing any cooling. I turned it off to let the copper line cool down, which it did, and then turned it back on. I don't think the outside unit ran at all. It just buzzed and then made a sound like air was rushing somewhere.There is two lines from outside to in, one of which has insulation on it so it doesn't condensate, I'd think. The other brown one is the one getting hot, unless they both are.The inside unit is a carrier comfort 92. The evaporator coil model no is c05axa036017abaa.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Outside unit has the model no 38ckc036350

A buzz followed by rushing air, means the external condenser unit has an internal fan, doubtless.

The buzz would be the fan's startup noise, I suspect.

Do you know how old your Carrier Comfort is? the heat exchanger has a 20-year warranty.

But I'm inclined to suspect that it needs recharging owing to a leakage of coolant... and did this problem come on suddenly? or just gradually?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just happened today when I noticed the temperature was creeping up. We have been running it for about a week with no issues.The evaporator coil had a leak about 2-3 years ago and that was replaced. The entire system is about 11 years old. My house was built in 2005.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also the fan does not startup.

Well... I'm not sure about the warranty on the external exchanger, or whether warranty covers the recharging (with coolant) that probably is the most of what it needs.

Calling service on it may be all that can be done.

Note: that should be done at once. Devices of this sort that run at a low coolant pressure for a while, wear out.

Which fan does not start up? I thought you said you hear a noise like air rushing somewhere... unless that was the noise of the coolant moving, perhaps?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The big fan in the middle that never starts up. When trying to turn the unit I do hear a rushing noise, can't really tell if it is a gas or liquid.

If the heat exchanger isn't exchanging heat owing to low coolant pressure or levels (and if you see a coolant pressure gage anywhere, be sure to check on it), then the heat sensor may never require that the main fan turn On.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it also be a bad fan motor or capacitor?

I don't think so. Why wouldn't the heat exchanger be working then?

Your Carrier system has had coolant leaks before... I'm sorry, but it seems to me that it's either an expensive-ish repair, or maybe replace the whole thing if you keep it running with no coolant in it - that can be necessary.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. What is a heat exchanger?

That would be (in my phraseology) what you called the outside condenser.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok thanks. Well if the capacitor or motor was bad that wouldn't work as the motor powers that fan.

Perhaps that could also be a problem. As I said before, look for a gauge on it that indicates coolant level or coolant pressure.

Russell H., Service Tech