Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

My Raynor Navigator 1/3 hp will not close.

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/22/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 1 year ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi there,

First check if the safety sensors are aligned and nothing is blocking them.

If that doesn't work, let me know if the motor is getting power, and if there is any hum from it when you try to operate it.

Also let me know if disengaging the door with manual release allows the carriage to move back and forth while disengaged.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Eyes are aligned just fine. The motior has power. The door just would go part way down and back up. At first you could hold the garage button down without letting go and it would finally go down all the way. But last night after about 10 try's, I tried the manual handle but I must have done something wrong because it won't move at all now. The chain moves but the door won't go back to the start position so the chain just goes around and it hums. So I made it even worse.

If disengaging the door with manual release allows the carriage to move back and forth while disengaged then the fault is with the motor.
If the garage door is still stuck when released and you cannot move it back and forth then something is jammed in the mechanism somewhere.
Please check and let me know what you find.
Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The chain is moving but I can't manually move the door up or down.

Can you examine the mechanism carefully?

Do the gears appear damaged or stripped?

Hi, just checking in on your question, do you need any further assistance?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still haven't figured it out. I'm not sure I even know what to look at. I do need further assistance but have been working so couldn't get out there. It sucks to leave the door open all of the time. Can I call you tomorrow or Wednesday?

Yes, you can reply back here tomorrow.

Can you attach some photos of the gears from inside the motor controller so I can see if they have been stripped?

Pete, Electronic Engineer