Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My Raynor Navigator 1/3 hp will not close.

Customer Question

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

First check if the safety sensors are aligned and nothing is blocking them.

If that doesn't work, let me know if the motor is getting power, and if there is any hum from it when you try to operate it.

Also let me know if disengaging the door with manual release allows the carriage to move back and forth while disengaged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eyes are aligned just fine. The motior has power. The door just would go part way down and back up. At first you could hold the garage button down without letting go and it would finally go down all the way. But last night after about 10 try's, I tried the manual handle but I must have done something wrong because it won't move at all now. The chain moves but the door won't go back to the start position so the chain just goes around and it hums. So I made it even worse.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If disengaging the door with manual release allows the carriage to move back and forth while disengaged then the fault is with the motor.
If the garage door is still stuck when released and you cannot move it back and forth then something is jammed in the mechanism somewhere.
Please check and let me know what you find.
Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The chain is moving but I can't manually move the door up or down.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you examine the mechanism carefully?

Do the gears appear damaged or stripped?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question, do you need any further assistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still haven't figured it out. I'm not sure I even know what to look at. I do need further assistance but have been working so couldn't get out there. It sucks to leave the door open all of the time. Can I call you tomorrow or Wednesday?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can reply back here tomorrow.

Can you attach some photos of the gears from inside the motor controller so I can see if they have been stripped?