How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, General Contractor
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 21391
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am helping a friend renovate s house that was probably

Customer Question

I am helping a friend renovate his house that was probably built around 1988. There is a closet at the end of a long hallway that i need to identify. The current owner doesnt know what it is and he has never used it. It looks like a shoe closet but the shelves are too shallow to hold a pair of shoes. Please let me know what this closet is called and what it was intended for. Also, would it be possible to modify it to use it as a shoe closet or something functional? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It's a bit difficult to make out from your picture but it looks like a linen closet to me, made for towels, sheets, etc .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It cannot be a linen closet. As i mentioned, the shelves are not deep enough to hold a pair of shoes. I would estimate the the shelves are 6 inches deep. Thank you.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Well, it could also be a pantry closet. Sounds like it could accommodate some grocery dry goods. Either way it's not a typical config. Maybe the previous owner used it to store their CD collection.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

As far as modifying it goes it depends on what's behind it. If there is a closet behind it then you could increase the depth buy removing the back wall and re-framing it further back into the closets behind. If there are no closets behind then there's not much you can do with it to make it more useful except perhaps to remove the shelves and install wall mounted wire shoe racks in place of the shelves.