Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Leaking form ac vent in bathroom ceiling during heavy rains,

Customer Question
leaking form ac vent in bathroom ceiling during heavy rains,
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/7/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Susan Latta, General Contractor replied 1 year ago
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Unfortunately, a leak at one of the ceiling vents means a roof leak somewhere. Water always flows to the lowest areas and this may be a low area in your ceiling. However, that doesn't answer the question as to where the water is coming from. Have you or anyone else done an exploratory journey inside the attic space? I highly suggest that someone put on a mask and grab a big flashlight or two and explore the area around the vent in the bathroom.

Is the ceiling vent near a roof vent and the rain is blowing in during heavy rains?

Do you see any water staining on the sheetrock around the vent? Any water staining anywhere?

What is the age of your roof?

Have you had any roof damage recently?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2014
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No major damage
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 years old
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No stains anywhere else
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I live in a manufactured home so there is no attic

Sorry, that was posted unintentionally because I wasn't finished......

Is your AC causing lots of condensation around this vent and others too?

Thank you for answering my questions!

Narrowed down, if this is a condensation issue, a licensed heat and air person will need to look at it and make repairs.

If the water leak is due to a roof leak and you don't need a new roof, water is blowing in from a roof vent or leaking in around one of the vent boots on your roof and you can go up and inspect that or a reliable roofing contractor knows exactly what to look for. Either way, that will need to be fixed by either replacing the boot or caulked.

If you have additional questions regarding this subject, please feel free to ask. Thank you for using Just Answer as your handy, go-to resource.

Susan

If you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.

Susan Latta
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor