Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

I just purchased a used Ariens Zero Turn which ran great the

Customer Question

I just purchased a used Ariens Zero Turn which ran great the first cutting.
Today I changed out all the filters (gas, air & oil) changed the engine oil and new blades.
I fired it up, ran it for a few minutes to recheck the oil level. OK. Started cutting and had to leave the seat to move object in the lawn. The seat safety switch shut the engine down because the PTO was still engaged.
I turned off the PTO, lock the brake, sat my but in the seat, turned the key and nothing happened. Not even a "click". LED read out still works but nothing else. Checked seat switch, brake switch and have not found any other (safety) switches.
Where else might I look for this simple solution that I'm missing?
Thank you for your response. John
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
There are several possibilities .I will list some checkpoints in the most likely order of being the problem.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
1: check the safety switch with a volt / ohm meter . I know you said you checked it but you didnt say how.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
2: check the wiring to the switch .where it plugs in , the condition of the wire itself. Check for loose contacts on plug , plugged all the way in. Etc.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
3: check the mechanical contact under the seat that operates the safety switch . You can hold the contact manually with the seat up to test the safety switch.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
4: check the wires to the safety switch to see if they are loose or unplugged at the far end.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
There are other causes that are not related to the safety switch but could be caused to occur as a person gets on or off the machine.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
1: check the wiring at the solenoid . If the small ones are loose it will not operate.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
2: check the large wires at the solenoid
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
3: I listed this in order of liklihood but it is often the first place to look. Check the wires (large) at the battery.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
4: check the ground wire/wires.
Runs from negative battery to chassis body. Check any wires connected to the chassi
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
5: check for an inline fuse in the wire running from the positive battery terminal.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Other considerations:The fact you heard no click indicates no power to solenoid
when the key/ starter is turned/ pushed. This can be caused by items listed plus the solenoid itself could be defective.
It should click/ operate if positive and negative wires are temporarily touched to its leads.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Niot as probable ( you also should hear a click ) is a loose large wire/cable on the starter.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
If none of these are the problemm I will be glad to continue to work with you.
Just let me know.
I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Note: if you dont have a volt / ohmn meter you can check the safety switch under the seat by operating it manually through a process trial and error . Plugged/ unplugged/ crossing the leads/ etc.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
These possible trouble points will probably take a while to check out. I will be glad to continue to work with you whenever you are ready.