Papatrexas
Papatrexas, General Contractor
Experience:  I am licensed General & Electrical contractor for more then 35 years with 40 years experience in the construction industry.
76133288

Please only respond if your a veteran in this industry.

Customer Question

Please only respond if your a veteran in this industry. Thank you.
I'm painting my office which has white walls right now. I have porcelain sand color tiles with earth color grout. I would like to change the color of the walls with something like beige color or light brown.
- What color would you recommend? Something for productivity and good spirits.
- The walls are in pretty good shape. What would the procedure be to paint the white wall with a little darker wall? (Example Sanding?)
- What kind of roller would you recommend?
- Is there a difference with getting the primer in the paint or separately?
- What company's have the best paint?
- Anything else I should know?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswers. My name is Mike and I will be happy to assist you with your question.

Give me a moment and I will get something for you shortly, thanks

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

In the mean time can you tel me what kind of pain is on the walls? Flat or oil/enamel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its flat white paint.

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

If is flat we going to proceed this way, no sanding is required unless their imperfections.

Next use flat paint without the primer in it

If the color shade we are going to select is close to white no primer need it.

We will use a 9” - ¾” mat roller Kelly more is a good paint professionals use it, or Bear from HD worked for me. and i will use little water in the paint to make it flow better

Here is a color I pick for you room CLICK HERE and i will leave the ceiling white.

Hope this work for you.

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. Please know that I am not compensated for my time by JustAnswers until you rate me Thanks!

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

Sorry mistype ¾” nap not “map”

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

Here is the color that I pick you you

Pedal Dust #KM4401

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has always been my understanding that sanding is required so that the new paint has something to stick to and primer is a must. Can you please explain your reasoning?

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

Enamel paint yes flat paint no, we use primer if we do any patching or the color is dark and we are going with lighter color and only on a large project to save material cost but never on an existing good painted surface.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So to recap as long as I'm using a flat color on top of my flat white color I just paint over. Correct?

Also, how many coats of paint would you recommend? What is the wait time in between coats?

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

Yes correct.

If you are using the light color that I suggested and only use one cup of water to a gallon then one coat will do it, but if you still want a second coat than i will wait 30 minutes to re-coat

Good luck and thanks….Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm lost "only use one cup of water to a gallon then one coat will do it"am I adding water to the paint?

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

Adding water to good quality paint is a professional painters trick it makes the paint float better you will get a smother finish. That is true for Kelly more paint for Bear paint i will use 1/2 a cup

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate me using the stars at the top of the page. Please know that I am not compensated for my time by JustAnswers until you rate me Thanks!