Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

We have an Elite two leaf swinging gate system. Recently it

Customer Question
started acting up to where...
We have an Elite two leaf swinging gate system. Recently it started acting up to where it will only partially open. Sometimes if the rewet button is pushed it will open completely, but usually not. It has gotten to the point where I have to unlock the arms and move the gates manually. Can you give me some idea of what might be happening and what I might do to fix it? I am a 71 year old woman, on a fixed income with some electrical knowledge but not much strength. I could probably fix a minor electrical problem MUCH easier than opening and shutting the gate manually. If necessary I can call on a friend who is an electrician. I would like to avoid an expensive service call. The operating system is probably close to 15 +years old-WAY OUT of warranty. Thanks for your rapid reply.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
5/17/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 1 year ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Often a problem like this can be repaired with lubrucation and or adjustment to the linkage
1: check all joints for proper fit and loose or broken hardware
2: lubricate all moving parts on the linkage and gate with WD 40 or a similar product.
3: check that none of the linkage is bent or loose.
4: check joints and pivot points for rust. Clean and replace as needed
5: check that gate does not sag ,( loose suppqort
poles or brace
Another cause can be low
power ( voltage)
1: check voltage at source for proper level.
2: check wiring for bad wire, worn insulation
3: check all electrical connections ( should be tight and dry.
4: check the motor wiring connections
Sometimes the motor can be bad.
1: check for obvious defects , bad or burned odor
2: check the brushes in the motor ( should unscrew without taking the motor apart , one on each side
3: take the linkage loose from the motor and see if it spins freely
4: if not sure if the motor is good disconnect from gate and take to repair shop
I will be glad to answer any questions you may have
Most of this you can do by yourself or with the help of your friend
You will need some mechanics and electricians tools
One can of WD 40 should be enough to do the job.
Heavier connections like the gate ends may need grease
http://m.lowes.com/pd/WD-40-12-oz-Smart-Straw-HS/50111398
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor