How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, General Contractor
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 21544
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a cinder block wall in my back yard that I am

Customer Question

I have a cinder block wall in my back yard that I am upgrading. It is about 4 and half feet tall and about 50 feet long. I have removed the top cap and am installing a top railing (ornamental steel fence sections). I have inserted into the open cells vertical steel pipes at intervals to brace the additional fence sections on the of the top cider block wall.
Now a few questions, I am thinking that the wall should have reinforcement to brace the steel post in place and also strengthen the wall. I am thinking of putting a grout mixture ( or something) down into the open cells with some sort of re bar and then putting a top dip cap on it an then adding the new (heavy) fence sections to the top and wielding the fence sections to the vertical steel posts.
What is the best way (method) to strengthen the wall prior to putting the fence sections on top of it.
Hopefully I have described this well enough for you to get the idea.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.Sounds like you have the right idea. I'd weld the fence posts to the pipe (sounds like what you had in mind). Grout to fill the void around the pipes is a good idea. Additional re-bar won't add much strength. The re-bar needs to be poured into the footing for it to be effective.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of grout? Let me know the mix, it will need to be liquid enough to pour down into the cells I have seen a polyurethane product, is this something I should consider?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You can use Sakrete or Quikrete mortar mix. Yes it has to be thn enough to pour.