Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Looking to roll on a coating over asphalt shingles on the

Customer Question
Looking to roll on a...

Looking to roll on a coating over asphalt shingles on the south side in white. Roof is about 28to 30 degrees and worning while other 3 sides got 4-5 yr left. Best coating easiest too roll on? Advise other then reshigle?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 day by:
4/11/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 1 year ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
If you are referring to standard
asphalt shingles on a pitched roof it is best to remove the old shingles before doing new work
Any roll on roofing material would have difficulmty sealing over asphalt shingles
If you are doing this for appearance and not to repair a leak a thin coat of some products will work.
The shingles would not have to be removed as long as no leaks are involved.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Out of touch for some time. Seen products that claim roll-on assuming

real hard brushing to remove loose residue. Looking for 3-4 months, when reroofing better for me. At this point, I'd hit any areas that once

seeped so no leaks.

Was thinking of using netting between coats IF stuff actually sticks.

I'll try testing but any product come to mind like for concrete that help

it bond could use? I'll get back at once, I'm back and they got my

subscription straight.

Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor