Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I'm trying to figure out what type of euro hinge I can use,

Customer Question
if at all, on a...
I'm trying to figure out what type of euro hinge I can use, if at all, on a clients set of cabinet doors. The doors are 3/4" thick, but the edge profile has a routed beveled edge on the side you see. I had to order 1 door replacement and the cabinet company noted that euro hinges are not recommended for this edge profile. I see why but you would think that there is a euro hinge that you could drill the hinge cup farther away from the edge. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
4/9/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Susan Latta, General Contractor replied 1 year ago
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor
Hi my name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.Please explain what you mean by "euro hinge". Are we talking about hidden hinges, full overlay door, and frameless construction?or a framed cabinet with inset doors?Are you using a custom cabinet shop for these cabinets or a pre-manufactured cabinet that's already finished?There are a multitude of hinges available for cabinets, so I don't want to make suggestions without knowing the construction method used.Susan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im talking about euro hidden hinges for a 1/4" overlay door. The door is 3/4" thick but when drilling the 35 mm hole for hinge on the cabinet door, you normally must drill it 1/8" from door edge. If i do that it will most likely pierce the beveled edge on the front side of the door since this bevel is almost 3/8" wide from edge of door.
Ok, I see, you're talking about concerns with mounting the hinge on the door....a door the cabinet company said this hinge is not recommended because of the profile detailing on the outside edge of said door.I can tell you the cabinet companies usually know their cabinets, and are most likely giving you sound advice. But if you think you have a better idea, the only way to know if your idea will work or not, is to try it on a single door. The worst that could happen is you'd have to buy a new door.If you do try this, it's important to remember that in the end, the cabinet doors should function well and hang straight for many years to come. I would advise against making any kind of changes.However, since I am not really giving you the information you're looking for, I will opt out and let another professional give you their advice.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well im looking for a hinge to overcome this problem, like maybe one that insets in a little more than 1/8". More like 3/8". That is my issue - to find a euro hinge that will work on these doors.
Susan Latta
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor