Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My iDrive garage door opening bounces on the bottom and goes back up.

Customer Question
The door balance is heavy...
My iDrive garage door opening bounces on the bottom and goes back up. The door balance is heavy, and wants to fall down ... wondering if that pressure is causing it to bounce up? I called a garage repair company, and they said the limit switch probably failed, and that Wayne Dalton iDrive parts are no longer available. Saying I probably need a new device. Don't really want to pay the $90 service call tomorrow if you guys have a good answer to this problem that I can fix myself.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
4/4/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 2 years ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Hi Ted maybe we can run a few checks if you could help out and answer a few questions............. 1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it? 2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner 3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering? 4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes 5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button 6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage 7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary? We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondenceIf by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.And thank you for your help and assistanceeddie