Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

WE HAVE A 1991 NUTONE BATHROOM CEILING FAN/LIGHT. WE ARE…

Customer Question
WE HAVE A 1991 NUTONE...
WE HAVE A 1991 NUTONE BATHROOM CEILING FAN/LIGHT. WE ARE TRYING TO PULL OUT THE CASING AND CAN'T FIND HOW IT IS ATTACHED. WE HAVE REMOVED ALL SCREWS AND WE HAVE ATTEMPTED TO FIND (PUSHING AND PULLING) AT ANY METAL PINS/CONNECTIONS AND CAN'T SEEM TO FIND ANY. WE HAVE TRIED TO PRY BETWEEN THE BOX AND DRY WALL. WE HAVE WATCHED A DOZEN HOW TO VIDEOS. NONE SHOW OUR TYPE OF VENT. WHAT IS THE TRICK TO REMOVING THE CASING?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
3/10/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 2 years ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

hi ..........do you have access from above?........whoever did the install might have done something different to secure it ........especially with the vent hose

No, we do not have access from above. We took the motor out. Even with that, we cannot see how it could possibly be taken out.

do you see a wing nut anywhere on whats left? ............and if you could upload a couple of pictures it would help immensely

Thanks

eddie

Here are some pictures of the inside of the fan.
DSCN0670[1].JPGDSCN067...JPGDSCN0672[1].JPGDSCN067...JPGDSCN0673[1].JPGDSCN067...JPGDSCN0674[1].JPGDSCN067...JPGDSCN0675[1].JPGDSCN067...JPG

Hi Joyce..........with these NuTone fans there are tabs or wings that snap into the slots to get that motor and mount off...........but I think one of the things that has been hampering you is the electrical box......make sure the breaker is off of course..........that box cover probably snaps (by those two indents) into place if you took a hammer claw or a pry bar and stuck it between the fan housing wall and the box you should be able to pry that cover off..............then on the opposite side there might be one or two tabs that you would have to pry from there maybe by pushing up and using a screwdriver......once that side is off that motor and housing should slide down............if worse came to worse what I would do is take a sawz-all and stick the blade in between the metal housing and the drywall and simply cut the screws or nails ..........there are tabs that extend just a little past the housing to attach it ...........maybe we could talk on the phone if it comes to that

Thanks

eddie

Hi Joyce ...........just checking in here ...............how are things proceeding?