Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I live in a house which is less than two years old and still…

Customer Question
I live in a house...
I live in a house which is less than two years old and still under warranty. The kids bathroom is located on the second floor. At 7 AM someone took a shower and left a small puddle of water on the ground. Nothing major and it wasn't the first time. The water puddled on the side of the bathroom next to the baseboard. I noticed it at 9 AM (two hours later) and wipe it off with a towel. An hour later we saw blisters on the kitchen ceiling which is below that bathroom which is apparent that the water from the bathroom leaked through and made it to the Kitchen's ceiling.Is that normal for a little bit of water sitting on the bathroom tile floor for two hours to make it through and leak to the floor below. I have been told that the builder might not cover it but I believe that the builder didn't seal the baseboard with the proper caulking and leaked through the baseboard.I want to be fair with the builder. If it is my mistake I will cover it but if it is not sealed properly or if it is not usual for this to happen that quick then I will ask for the builder to cover.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
3/8/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If there was a puddle on the floor there's a pretty good chance that wasn't the only water that escaped the shower. If you see signs of water downstairs when there's no water on the floor then that's the time to complain to the builder. It's extremely unlikely that the water seeped through the tile. It's much more likely is found it's way through a crack where the wall or shower meets the floor. This is a caulking issue which is a normal maintenance item not a warranty issue unless you have a tiled base(board).

This happened three days ago and the water no more leak is noticed which is telling us it is the puddle of water that leaked through.The caulking looks intact also. I was shocked to see that water can leak through so quick. It seems abnormal to me but at the same time this is my first two story home.

Unless there is a noticeable flaw in the grout there's really no way water can seep through the tile/grout, thinset, tile backer & plywood before it can get to the ceiling below. If this problem re-appears regularly then mention it to the builder.