Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I would like ask a question about making my own ottoman

Customer Question
Hi I would like ask...
Hi I would like ask a question about making my own ottoman style storage bed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Hi I have asked my carpenter to make me a storage bed and he told me to first order the lift mechanism and slat system, which is all good but now the people who make the mechanism and slats want to know exactly how big to make the slat Base but my carpenter is in hospital so I'm trying to find the answer to this question. My existing mattress is 160x200 cm so how big should the slat Base be?
3/3/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Susan Latta, General Contractor replied 2 years ago
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor

Hi my name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

To be clear, is the slat base the large, horizontal area the mattress rests on?

If so, I believe 1 to 1.5 inches larger than the mattress size in both width and length

would work perfectly. I'm here in the US and unfamiliar with metric, but I think you would

want your slat base to be around 162.45 x 202.45, that's adding an additional 1 inch both in width and length.

Or, for a less snug fit, add 1 1/2" (3.81 cm) to both length and width. I don't think you would want it much larger than this except for fashion purposes.

If the slat base is solid wood, your measurements could be anything, 1 to 5+ inches. However, I wouldn't make it so large that it's hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Remember I cannot "see" the bed you are designing so the vision of the finished bed in my head may be different than yours. So to be safe you would want to send me a photo of what you are trying to replicate and I can be more definite. The storage bed sounds like a great idea!!

We appreciate that you contacted us here at Just Answer, if you have questions, please ask!

Susan Latta

If you feel I addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

By providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue. There is no additional charge for follow-ups.

I was hoping to get to talk to you personally about this project, but if not please, don't forget to leave a positive rating! Thank you!

Susan