Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Back last summer when it did not rain here in Michigan,

Customer Question
Back last summer when...
Back last summer when it did not rain for weeks here in Michigan, there was water seeping through the walls around the base of my basement, and raw sewerage was coming up from the drain to the extent that I actually experienced full blown flooding. I even hooked up an electrical pump to evacuate the water as soon as it was coming in. I had the drain snaked out and the water stopped coming in for about a couple of weeks. I thought I had solved the problem. Now it has started coming in again, fecal matter and all. I only have one tree on my property, which is located about 50 ft. from the house, and my neighbors only have tiny little trees that are not close to my property. I don't think I have a tree root problem.
Can you figure out what my problem could be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/3/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 2 years ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor

It sounds like the drain line out to the street is clogged.

This could be caused by kitty litter, paper towels or sonething weird that was flushed doen the commode.Tree roots can be a problem even if the tree is pretty far away.

You can try renting a "snake" abd attempt to clear the line yourself ( especially if you suspect something unusual was flushed.

However From what you are describing it might be better to have it professionally done.

You should also have them check to see if you have an anti back flow valve and if it is working properly.

In the long run while you can save money by doing it yourself

a professional repair will more likely prevent future problems.

They can inspect what you have and advise if you need any upgrades , like the valve previously mentioned. It keeps sewage from coming in your house from the line in the street or a septic tank.

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Looking back over your report I am leaning toward an anti back flow ( valve) problem.

Roots would / should not have grown back since the line was snaked recently.

The other possibility is something heavy is being flushed but that doesnt seem likely unless you have a lot of people using your bathroom.

There are cameras that can be fished into the line by plumbers to get a better idea what is happening.

There is also a possible break in the line. This would possibly show on the canera.

A less likely problem would be the vent stack is clogged .(leaves, nests, even dead animals)

Possibly at the roof. This causes slow draining and flushing.

This can be checked from the roof with the TV camera if necessary.