NCCPrime
NCCPrime,
Experience:  President at NCC Prime Construction Inc.
89387220

I have a bluestone patio that was in 2008 when the house was

Customer Question

I have a bluestone patio that was laid in 2008 when the house was built. I live in Central New Jersey where the temperature range from 90 degrees in August to 20 degrees in February. The mortar in the joints is starting to crack and disintegrate. Before i look to get it fixed, i was wondering if there is anything i should know. Thank you
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  NCCPrime replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to the service. Firstly, I would like to say that mortar can crack in extreme weather temperatures due to expansion and contraction. Also, I would like to mention that if the work is done properly then this possibility is minimized. My advise to you is to make the necessary repairs as soon as possible because water can flow through the joints below the stones and that could cause your patio stones to start moving. There are options to use so you ensure that the joints will not crack soon after you repair them. For example you can add liquid latex B20 in your mortar mix or any other similar product and this will allow more flexibility. Then I would seal everything with a waterproofing product such as siloxane or any other similar product. Please feel free to contact me if you have more questions. Also, if you are satisfied with my answer I would appreciate your feedback by rating my service. Good luck