Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

What is the Florida Building code as far as hurricane straps…

Customer Question
What is the Florida Building...
What is the Florida Building code as far as hurricane straps to a home on piers where there once was a small home
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
2/27/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 2 years ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor

All homes in Florida under new construction must have

"Hurricane " straps. Those rebuilt or built on an existing foundation or piers / or wood piers or pilings would be treated as new construction.

This section of the code 1822 refers to requirements for wooden piers or pilings . Other types are covered in the same general area.

I will be right back with a link for walls and rafter framing

Section 2321 6.1 refers to the use of steel straps to connect wood framing to prevent uplift from hurricane force wind.

This link shows Connecting walls to bottom framing using steel straps. These are easy to install during new construction and relatively inexpensive for the protection they provide.

To know exactly which wind zone you are in contact your local building commission . They will let you know the exact places in your building where straps are needed and which type they approve.

This link shows a breakdown of all the straps that may be needed.

You may find you dont need all the straps shown but better safe than sorry. The houses that survive hurricanes are usually well "strapped."

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

If you are doing the construction you may see places where a strap or straps can be added although not necessarily required by Florida code. I would go ahead and place straps in these areas . Especially on the side where you ecpect the prevailing wind. Straps are about the least expensive protection from wind damage available .