Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a 400-500 square foot space that needs gutted,

Customer Question

I have a 400-500 square foot space that needs gutted, including replacing the entire roof, some roof trusses, and possibly floor joists. There is a fireplace with mantle and brick work spanning about 7-8ft on the westerly external wall of the space; the chimney is still in excellent condition at 50 years old and shows no major shifting. This space is an extension on a home and has a perpendicular gable roof intersection with the original 800SqFt home.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, and thank you for your response. I am looking for an experienced and educated guess of pricing on a project like this.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Your description is too vague for me to give you a meaningful number. Labor cost also vary significantly around the country. Your best bet is to get some estimates from local contractors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What information would be necessary for more clarity? Southern Illinois, several homes remodeled in town recently. We are looking at taking it down to the studs. Replacing roof trusses and the roof, along with subfloor and any compromised floor trusses. Wiring would be fully replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just looking for a contractor who has enough experience to offer an educated ballpark guess.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Windows? interior finish? what type of space? kitchen or bathroom? bedroom? family room? level of interior finish? wall to wall? hardwood flooring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you, ***** ***** forget these basics. Forgive me and thank you. The back end with the fireplace is a large open living space with room for a separate den. Low end finishes. Basic painted drywall, drywall ceilings. Simple baseboard trim. Nothing fancy, just liveable. I intend to do all internal framing, drywall and finishing. I'm just looking at having a contractor fix the structural issues concerning the roof and flooring. Would require all electrical to be run by contractor. Internal framing and finishing would be taken care of by me. I'm looking for the pros to handle the basic structure work and wiring, I can handle the rest.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you could easily be looking at $20k+ for the work you want to sub out. I don't know what labor rates are in S. Illinois. As far as I know it's pretty rural so I'm lowering the price from what I'd expect around here (Boston) since rural labor rates tend to be lower. I'd expect at least $30k for the complete project including the work you plan to do yourself.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Do you have anymore questions?