Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

My gas water heater isn't getting very hot...its about 15

Customer Question

My gas water heater isn't getting very hot...its about 15 years old..and just yesterday I noticed that the water int very hot...the thermostat is set to hot and the vent is hot to touch
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There's a pretty good chance the thermostat in the gas valve is faulty and/or there is a significant amount of sediment in the bottom of the tank. Given the age of the heater replacing it would probably be a good idea. It's not worth the expense to replace the gas valve since it could leak at any time. Most gas water heaters only last 10 years